Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Tale of 4 Rings

Our last project in Metals III is a series of four rings, all made from a different form of metal: sheet, stock, wire, and tube.  They are not supposed to look like their original material when they are finished and they must not be the conventional "ring" shape.  My goal is to make one a day for the next four days, as they are due on Thursday....it's going to be rough.

Day 1: Wire

I call this ring "AntiMegan."  I did everything in my power to make a ring that goes completely against my instincts and comfort zones.  It's messy and organic and I am in love with it.  It was incredibly freeing.  The thing broke apart four times but I just breathed and fixed it.  It took six hours from start to finish.

Jess and I worked in the studio together and finished our rings at exactly the same time.  Exactly.  These are our two finished rings. Both are made from wire.  Hers is wire soldered together into sheet and mine is wire balled up and fused.
I somehow managed a rainbow patina on sterling silver with week old liver of sulfur.  My thought is divine intervention.
This is made from balled up wire fused to a wire free-hand form.


No comments:

Post a Comment