Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Tale of 4 Rings: Day 3

Day 3: Sheet

For this ring, my original design was very structured and clean, which is what I am most comfortable with.  In my design review I was told to continue with this design but then to destroy it.  Through this process I would learn the organic forms that sheet metal takes when it is being hammered and it would free me of my need for precision and a completely planned process.  It was a terrifying and heart-wrenching task but I followed through because I felt it was important for my development. 

I constructed the ring fairly easily and quickly, and immediately upon its completion I opted to destroy it, as not to get attached.  Here are a few photos before the destruction.  Thanks to Tai for modeling so beautifully.


Below are the photos taken during the several stages of deconstructing this ring.
 The scene of the murder and the many murder weapons.
 Collapsing in the sides of the structure.
 This is while the ring still looked decent.  This is with the collapsed in sides that made it look somewhat like it was melting or sagging.
 A view from the front of the melted sides.
 I then smashed the piece directly from above.  The collapsed sides made the form fall in on itself.  It was a beautiful process that resulted in a terribly ugly form.
 I then smashed and folded the form as far as I could with the strength in my arms.  I used a clamp to hold one side while wailing on the other to help fold it in half one last time.
 At this point I did everything in my ability to take this ring down to a nugget of brass.
This was a test of my strength of will as well as my soldering abilities.  None of my seems popped though I may have lost a bit of my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment