Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Tale of 4 Rings: Day 4

Day 4: Stock

I found this material to be the most difficult to work with.  Sawing took ages and so did every other means of manipulation.  My only thoughts going in to this project was that I wanted to form the stock using alternating levels of brass and copper sheet and that I wanted to sculpt it to fit into the crevice between the fingers.  I had never used this form of metal before and didn't know how best to manipulate it, so I left that aspect open.  I want to make an organic form and I was told that I should utilize the immense amount of metal shavings that come from sculpting the material.

I spent multiple hours with several 60grit sanding wheels and metal burs, as well as a belt sander.  I let the project evolve as I made it  and only kept the location on the hand in mind as I worked the metal.  Here are the results.
This is the piece of stock I carved away at.  That was easier to construct than I expected due to it's minimal dimensions.
Here are my results.  I carved the piece such that the shavings could fall into the copper crevices.
The underside of the piece is curved to fit into the space between the two fingers.
I really love the interplay between the sculpted piece and the metal dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment