Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rhino Progress

    I am currently working on the injection molded and rhino versions of my column project.  For injection molding, I created a rhino file to make a precise form since I am injecting each side and they must fit together perfectly.  I designed this form such that a mold can be made of one of the sides and two injections can be pulled from the same mold and will fit together to form the whole.  There are pegs and holes in the piece that fit together snugly (in theory) and leave a cavity in the center to be filled.
     There were about a dozen trial versions of this design and I hope that this version will be successful.  There were many calculations that had to be made to account for the injection molding process as well as the compatibility of the sides (being pulled from the same mold).  It's on its way from Shapeways and I'm excited to see how it turns out!  I got it printed in transparent detail, as apposed to white strong and flexible, because I did some research and the company suggested not using WSF for mold making.  I think this is because the surface is very porous. 
I am now using what I learned from my previous design to develop a more intricately designed version of the project for the rhino assignment.  It's a work in progress but I am loving how it's going.
Inspiration:

2 comments:

  1. Cool,

    you may be able use Shapeways WSF for mold making if you add a 'smooth' finish

    check the shapeways forums

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! Yeah I was thinking I could use a spray lacquer to seal the WSF but there wasn't much of a price difference between the materials so I just went with the detail.

    ReplyDelete