Monday, November 22, 2010

Mold Misery

I went to take my mold apart, this afternoon, to find it stuck together.  With Rachel's assistance, we were able to lodge a screwdriver in the port to get it apart.  At this point it was evident that the pegs on either side of the column had gotten stuck in the mold while the molded pegs had, in turn, gotten lodged within the original model.  The cavity had also fused within the model.  This completely destroyed the mechanism of the piece so I just wanted to get the model out of the mold successfully so I could cast a solid version of my column.
 Above is Rachel trying to lodge the screwdriver behind the model to pop it out.
These are the two parts of the mold with the shapeways piece completely lodged in side 1.
This is Rachel realizing the only way to get the model out is to shatter it.

 This is the result of that...and Jan sawing the side in half.  The plastic fused itself to the molding material somehow, despite my exhaustive mold release efforts.  We are thinking this might be due to the fact that the mold material heats as it cures and this may have heated the model such that it fused.  It is a huge disappointing mess at this point.  There is no way to salvage the model or the mold so I must simply find another way.

2 comments:

  1. Argh,

    Hey Megan, thanks for sharing, contact me on duann(at)shapeways.com if you want to discuss.

    Cheers

    Duann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan, have you tried this with any other materials? Maybe its sintered nylon causing the issues?
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete