Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Contain Project: Part I, Reflection

Overall I am very pleased with how this piece turned out. The concept remained the same throughout the production though the final form experienced some minor alterations. I believe the clarity of the column symbol is still clear despite the fact that I flattened one side to provide a window into the piece and a door to be opened by the wearer. My original concept did not incorporate a hinge so I had to alter the form to incorporate this into the design. I am very thankful for this because it adds interest to the interior side of the piece and allows it to lie nicely against the chest of the wearer. Making the piece able to be opened gave me access to the interior and allowed for a much more complicated and cohesive piece altogether.


I had a few issues in applying my hinge but I’m certain this is normal, as it was only my second hinge ever, and I was attempting to mirror it in the clasp on the other side of the piece. This means it had ten very thin brass knuckles that needed to be lined up perfectly with just the right amount of solder and the most precise application of yellow ochre. This was most rough starting out but got easier as more knuckles were tacked on there. To sum the experience up, I would say that my major hiccups were smooshing one of the hinges with my pliers and having to replace it after it had been flowed completely, as well as getting my steel hinge pin stuck in the bottom knuckle of the clasp side of the piece. This was my very last knuckle and was hellish to clean because I couldn’t put it in the pickle with steel inside of it and I needed the knuckle to be clean so that I could flow the solder to heat it off. These two moments occurred back-to-back and were a test of my resolve but both were worked through.

The feedback I received via facebook and my blog all alluded to the same element that I needed to improve. I didn’t receive any negative feedback on my concept or craftsmanship but everyone seemed to be unanimous in that the string I used to flow through the IV tubing and into the piece was not the correct choice of material. I was told it seems “impermanent” and “sloppy” in comparison to the crisp nature of the entire piece otherwise. I completely agree with this upon reflecting on the piece and plan to change it once I receive the piece again. I am currently researching thin IV tubing and clear cording. I believe the translucent nature of these materials will correlate better to the medication as well as add a “finished” element to an area that was lacking in this respect.

The structured nature of this piece played well to my strengths and aided in the construction. I find most comfort in precise, clean processes and that made the excessive knuckles and strict fit of the two pieces of the body less painful for me than I expected. I took my time with this piece and I think that this was the key to the success of my mechanism. I was hesitant about my clasp when I first conceived it but proceeded with blind confidence and it worked out. I am overall very pleased with the piece. I think it reflects my aesthetic and truly correlates with my vision. I have a deep passion for the concept of this piece, which I think drove me through those long studio nights. All that yellow ochre fueled frustration was worth a successful final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment