Thursday, October 21, 2010

Container Project: Part I (Complete)

Here are some images of my final piece for the first portion of the container project.  It is a wearable reliquary of sorts depicting the struggles of disease, particularly Multiple Sclerosis.  My mother has Multiple Sclerosis and Fibromyalgia so I have very intimate knowledge of the pain and complexities of disease.  The outside is in the image of a column to represent the tough, solid, strong, supportive exterior that those with disease must put up on a daily basis.  I paid particular attention to craftsmanship in this respect because I wanted the piece to be structured and precise, as this is essential to the concept.  I tailored the hinge and clasp along the sides to mirror this aesthetic.
The cording to go around the neck is IV tubing with a white cord running through it to represent the steroid medication that my mother takes to keep her disease in check.  The white cord runs into the piece.
The back of the piece is closed and dark to separate the sides of identity and the keep the interior personal and somewhat hidden until it is opened.
The interior stressed the dichotomy of how disease affects the identity of its victims.  While the exterior is structured and stoic, the inside is stressful, jumbled, and overwhelming.  Upon opening the piece (via sliding a pin up to release the door), a sting of warning labels for the many medications one with MS must take bursts out of the interior. 
These labels are contradictory (i.e. “Take on an empty stomach” and “Take with food to lessen chance of stomach upset”) and frightening in their multitude.  They are physically connected and are associated with the medication flowing into the structure. The medication keeps the structure stable but also puts forth an alarming amount of vital information one must always keep in mind and worry about.
After bursting forth, the warnings lie in a list format to emphasize the overwhelming nature of the disease and how it is always on the person’s mind and running their priorities.  Each label has a separate label backing it, doubling the amount of information that is kept on hand.
Once opened, it is revealed that the film that was so dark and preventing view to the interior is actually a piece of an MRI film displaying two very clear brain lesions indicating the presence of MS.  This is an actual film from one of my mother’s MRI's that she graciously donated to this project.  This is meant to make the interior feel as if one is looking inside the brain of the diseased.  It is dark, sterile and full of jumbled, worried thoughts.
In order to close the piece again and return to the solid, structural façade, once must singly fold each label back into the contained space, forcing the viewer to individually assess the worries and decide to place each away.
This piece is meant to represent the complexities of how disease affects the identity and thought process of its victim.  Please let me know what you think about the concept, materials, craftsmanship, overall effectiveness, etc via comment.

6 comments:

  1. I may be biased, but I think that you are the most awesomely talented person ever to walk the face of the planet. You make me proud every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was very creative to leave the exterior solid and show the MRI on the interior.
    Also, I liked that you used the IV tubing as the chain part of the piece.
    I wish these pictures did justice to your rivets and hinges- when I saw the piece in person, I was very impressed by them!!

    Perhaps you could find an alternate material for the string holding the warnings together, maybe something more medical? I don't have any suggestions on what to use, just the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Mom, you are incredibly biased. And I love you.

    Elizabeth, thanks for the comment and the kind words! Yes I do entirely plan to change that string once I get the piece back. I agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the explanation because it shows all the thought that went into every aspect of the piece.

    I do think black thread through the iv tube would compliment the black mri film better but would lose meaning because you are trying to show the sterility of medical procedures.

    And I agree, Elizabeth, that the pictures do not do justice to the workmanship. The only thing I can think of for connecting the warnings that is medical is the tubing they use to tie the arm off before inserting the iv, but those are ugly...or maybe thin strips of twisted gauze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Megan,I hope is all well with you post-Italy. Thank you for sharing this with me. I think it is a very interesting piece. What makes it so special is that it represents someone very near and dear to you. The fact that anyone can came up with such a creative idea like that is fascinating. I wish I could have seen this in person to really check it out, but from what I see you are super talented. If you make anything else in the near future I would love to see it because you know how obsessed I am with jewelry =)

    <3 Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly have a difficult time giving this piece any significant criticism in either concept or workmanship. It's well-done in both aspects. Still, just a 'Wow, what a good job!' is neither criticism nor constructive so I'll give my thoughts.

    From a technical standpoint - there seem to be some minor areas where the patina hasn't fully covered the piece. These spots are in the back of the hinges. The only other complaint is that while the concept for the list of medication warnings is great, the execution seems like it provides an impermanent part of the piece. The cord seems flimsy by definition and the paper with the warnings isn't laminated or otherwise preserved. This seems like it'd really affect the 'lifespan' of the piece, if that is of any consideration. I'm not sure if practicality is of any sort of consideration in this piece so if not, completely ignore that.

    In the end, you know your piece better than anyone and so, not even being a jewelry major, I find myself unable to give criticism on the specific technical aspects. From an amateur point of view, this is absolutely a successful piece. I admire your ability to produce a narrative with your jewelry.

    ReplyDelete