Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sugar Lighting Design

I have been working on designing my sugar addition to those boring college lamps. I first measured all the specifics for the opening of the lamp and then mapped it out in illustrator. In doing this I was able to measure out 8 evenly spaced slits around the perimeter of the lamp. I will create a cylinder of sugar that covers the rim of the lamp by 1" and has a 1/2" overhang. The slits will be fabricated into this overhang and will hold sugar slabs of some shape. I haven't nailed down what shapes I am going to use but I am thinking of creating scythe-like slabs that will meet evenly in the center (I measured this in illustrator). This would project light beams in a sunburst pattern and would successfully diffuse the harsh lighting. It would also add a dynamic element to the plain lamps. Here is a 1/2 size mock-up of my plan (cardboard and bristol board).

This design will also cater to the wet-sand nature of the uncured material. I can create this shapes with a decent amount of ease, thus focusing on the material's durability and finish quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment