Monday, February 1, 2010

Plastic from Sugar? Emiliano Godoy

I spotted this guy's work while perusing an eco design book and thought his approach to plastic was really innovative and intriguing. He uses a combination of sugar and cream of tartar to create an environmentally friendly, dissolvable plastic that is both aesthetically pleasing and very useful. Here's a great article about where he got his ideas and where his work is heading.

http://www.mnn.com/the-home/interior-design/stories/sweet-sugary-stylish-solutions

There is no exact recipe available to make the plastic but maybe I can experiment and come up with a working compound to use in my Materials project. I am either going to make a sugar plastic or a milk/vinegar plastic. This seems like a good place to begin my research on green plastics.



Here's another artist, Greetj van Helmond. He/she (I have no idea what gender Greetj is) creates fascinating, intricate jewelry pieces out of the same basic process that is used to create rock candy. He/she makes gorgeous crystal forms out of such a simple material. Very inspirational! Check these out!



No comments:

Post a Comment