Monday, February 22, 2010

J2: Lamination Inlay Difficulties

Today I attempted to sweat solder my top sheet of 26ga copper(shape already pierced out)to my 20ga brass base. I laid it on the stand and wire mesh and heated it with a large flame from below. I stood there heating for about 25 minutes with no results. I tried just heating one corner, knowing that the sheet was too large to solder all at once. No luck with that. I am going to attempt double-fisting some torches with a large flame below and a small flame above. The piece is just too large for its own good.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I have used two torches before to get an even heating. Also, make sure that you are using enough soldier on the back of the copper in order to get it to really flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha believe me, lack of solder is not my issue. I anticipated problems and made sure that would not be one of them :)

    ReplyDelete