Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dying Printed Forms

I had some RIT dye lying around from a previous project and thought I'd see how the Shapeways WSF material took the color.
 This is one of my spindle necklaces that I dyed using the teal dye.  I stuck the pendant in when the dye was hot and fresh and let it get to a nice deep shade.  I put the cording in shortly after to see if it would take color as well.  Magically, it did!  This is a wonderful way to match your printed piece to its cording!
This is a nice, classy color.
 This one is my favorite.  It's dyed using the tangerine color.  I put it in fresh and let it sit for a while to get a nice saturated orange.  It's a really fun piece.
I like how the cording doesn't dye as easily so it is always slightly lighter than the printed piece.  It makes a very nice, balanced piece.
 This one was dyed using the same teal dye but I let the dye cool slightly and only stuck it in for a short amount of time.  It made a really nice robin's egg blue.
The WSF material is so porous and durable that it makes dying an ease.  It looks lovely without any dye but is so versatile if you want color.  Coupled with the clear soft glass cording, these necklaces are a dream to dye.  Expect more experiments to come!  I need to order some more prints!

2 comments:

  1. Watch after you dye them, they pick up dirt more easily. I don't know why, but they just seem to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love the teal (obviously).. I will definitely be doing this to my pieces

    ReplyDelete