Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Adventures in Glassblowing!!

Today was the fist day of glassblowing studio!  We learned the basics of how to hold the pole and standard safety and then practiced making simple solid marbles.  It was a fantastic terrifying time.  It was rough at the beginning but we all eventually got the hang of it.
 This is the studio pup, Erin!  She's a complete sweetheart.  Look at those gorgeous doe-eyes.
 This is Jess shaping her first marble with the aid of Savannah.  Exciting times.
 Here's Jess heating her third try in the "glory hole."  I picked up none of the terminology other than this one term.
This is me shaping one of my marbles (I use that word loosely.  They were more like glass mushrooms).

 Here's Savannah loading up our poles with molten glass (notice I didn't remember a bit of the terminology for this part).
Here is my first marble attempt!  Let this be known as my first piece of glass ever manipulated!  In case I become a famous glassblower one day (not likely).
Attempt #2!  Miles above the first one.  This one didn't have a ripple in it and somewhat resembled a sphere.
The bar next door!  What a wonderful idea!  We finished up our marbles and headed over to the bar for a beer and some crab fries.  Excellent end to the evening.
Crab fries!  So bad but so good.
There was a birthday party going on at the same time and a couple drunk guys stumbled over and plopped cake onto our table.  It was actually delicious.  So my night consisted of molten glass, a lovely dog, great beer, crab fries, and cake.  I'd call that a successful Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. This class looks crazy fun! I am trying to take it sometime before I graduate. Keep up the posts on it, I need more convincing to spend the extra money on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where is the glassblowing class? more to it what is the bar next to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's this great studio in Baltimore ('bout 20 mins from Towson), called Mcfadden Art Glass. The parents of the guy who runs the studio own the bar next door so they always have shared events. There's an open house tomorrow night! Here's a link to the event. http://www.mcfaddenartglass.com/home

    ReplyDelete